Welcome to Margaret Olley Drawing Week 2023, the National Art School’s program of intensive drawing workshops for students entering 2nd or 3rd year of the BFA.
All students must choose one workshop from the range of workshops listed below. Each workshop offers a distinct focus for drawing over the four days from Tuesday 21 February to Friday 24 February* at the National Art School campus and off-campus sites such as the Sydney Opera House and the State Library of NSW. Each workshop provides scope for students to start the year with a full immersion in the process of making, looking at and thinking about drawing.
*Take note. The ‘Hill End: Excavations’ workshop runs from Tuesday 14 February to Friday 17 February due to availability of accommodation in Hill End. This is one week earlier than all other workshops. If you participate in the Hill End workshop you must not register for another workshop in Drawing Week, as there is not sufficient space for students to select two workshops.
There will be an exhibition of work from Margaret Olley Drawing Week 2023 in the Rayner Hoff Project Space in Semester 1.
You will make your selection by following the BOOK HERE link on each page. There are no second or third preferences. You can only book in for one workshop.
Booking will open on Monday 30th January at 9.30 AM and close on Friday 3rd February at 4.30 PM. You will not be able to book before 30th January. You will need your student number to book in.
Once workshops are full, booking for that workshop will close.
The Drawing Week 2023 workshops are listed below. Press on the workshop title to view full details.
Workshops, lecturers and locations
- Drawing with Textiles with Jacqueline Bradley and Elizabeth Pulie in the NAS Sculpture workshop, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Developing a Line of Thought: Thinking Through Drawing with Susan Andrews and other lecturers in the NAS Building 5 Painting Studios, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Proximity with Margaret Roberts in NAS Building 26.1, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Sound Signal Trace with Ben Denham and Peter Blamey in the NAS Photomedia studio, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- The Drawing Marathon with Fran O’Neill, at NAS Building 16 North, 9.30 – 4.30 each day
- Foundations in Watercolour with Charles Cooper in NAS Building 28 G (under the Chapel) 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- The Slow Burn with Paul Higgs and David Horton at NAS Chapel, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Animation with Sarah Eddowes in the Digilab at NAS, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Drawing in the Library with Kim Spooner and Clare Humphries at the State Library of NSW, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Drawing on Clay/Drawing with Clay with Stephen Bird in the NAS 2nd year ceramic studio, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Hill End: Excavations with Stephanie Monteith in Hill End. This is residential so there are extra travel and accommodation costs.
- Drawing Machines, with Gary Warner in NAS Building 25, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Performing Drawing with Nicci Haynes in Building 16 South, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Collisions: Drawing in the Digital Age with Jonathan McBurnie in Building 26.3, 9.30 to 4.30 each day.
- Drawing at the Sydney Opera House with Joe Frost, Catherine O’Donnell, Annelies Jahn and Tango Conway, 9.30 to 4.30 each day.
The Margaret Olley Drawing Week is made possible by the generous support of the Margaret Olley Trust, the State Library of NSW and the Sydney Opera House.