Margaret Olley Drawing Week 2021
The Drawing Week workshops are for students enrolled in 2nd and 3rd year of the National Art School BFA program.
All enrolled students need to choose one workshop from the range of workshops listed below. Each workshop offers a distinct focus for drawing over the four days from Tuesday 23 to Friday 26 February at locations ranging from the historic township of Hill End to the State Library of NSW and the National Art School campus. Each workshop provides scope for students to start the year with a full immersion in the process of making, looking at and thinking about drawing.
Each page also includes visual references to get you started.
Special Drawing Week Lunchtime Forum: Wednesday 24th. Wendy Sharpe will discuss her current exhibition ‘Ghosts’.
There will be an exhibition of Drawings from Drawing Week in the Rayner Hoff Project Space opening on Thursday 4 March.
You will make your selection by following the EVENTBRITE link on each page. There are no second or third preferences. You can only book in for one workshop.
Booking will open on Friday 5 February at 9.30 AM and closes on Friday 12 February at 4.30 PM. You will not be able to book before 5 February. You will need your student number to book in.
Once workshops are full, booking for that workshop will close.
The Drawing Week 2021 workshops are listed below. Press on the workshop title to view full details.
Workshops, lecturers and locations:
- Castaways: A contemporary approach to drawing from plaster casts with Deborah Beck and Lorraine Kypiotis in the NAS archive and the Hoff loft, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Drawing with Textiles with Jacqueline Bradley and Elizabeth Pulie in the NAS Sculpture workshop, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Developing a Line of Thought: Thinking Through Drawing with Lynne Eastaway, Susan Andrews, Roger Crawford and Nick Collerson in the NAS Building 5 Painting Studios, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Proximity with Margaret Roberts will be at Articulate Project Space which is an artist run space in Parramatta Rd Leichhardt. 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Drawing Movement, Drawing with Movement, Drawing with Video with Ben Denham in the NAS Photomedia studio, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- The Drawing Marathon with Fran O’Neill, at NAS, Building 25 long, 9.30 – 4.30 each day
- Watercolour with Maryanne Coutts and Joe Frost in the NAS Chapel, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Renaissance Reborn with Paul Higgs and David Horton at NAS Building 16 north, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Animation with Sarah Eddowes in the Digilab at NAS, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Drawing in the Library with Chelsea Lehmann and Kim Spooner at the State Library of NSW, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Drawing at Rams Gully with Ross Laurie at Rams Gully, Walcha, 9.30 – 4.30 each day. This is residential so there are extra travel and accommodation costs.
- Drawing on Clay/Drawing with Clay with Louise Boscacci and Paul Williams in the NAS 2nd year ceramic studio, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Hill End: Excavations with Charles Cooper in Hill End. This is residential so there are extra travel and accommodation costs.
- Drawing Machines, with Gary Warner, in the NAS Rayner Hoff project space, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- Text as drawing: place and situated text with Carolyn Mckenzie-Craig and Justine Youssef at Studio 25 small at NAS and Cockatoo Island/Wareamah, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
- The Drawing Book with Polly Joannou in Building 26.3 at NAS and various sites around Sydney, 9.30 – 4.30 each day.
The Margaret Olley Drawing Week is made possible by the generous support of the Margaret Olley Trust and the State Library of NSW.